Thursday, September 20, 2018

Cottage Style Garden in Central Oregon

A few years ago a client approached me needing help with her rectangular backyard.  It was straight and narrow and not at all appealing. 
This is what I started with:

The client wanted an interesting, lawn free backyard to sit and enjoy the sun with a lower patio area with color, texture and year-round interest. 
Whenever I am dealing with a narrow yard I add curves and hidden paths with overflowing plants to disguise the shape. 

Here is the jewel out of the rough:

Wow what a difference a good design can make!  It doesn't even look like the same yard!


Here is how it looks when entering from the alleyway, hmm I wonder what is behind that gate?


Open the gate and you see.......


Oh yes I want to travel down that path!  Curving paths encourage exploration and can help to screen the destination making it more exciting and revealing as you get closer to the end.


Textures:


A variety of textures create texture no what is in flower.


A view of the classic white stone stone bench in the shade of the Crabapple tree surrounded by garden phlox and backed by Hydrangea. 



No comments:

Post a Comment